Last year I spent a fair bit of time searching out some good scary movies for tweens. Scary movies, that is, that are scary but not too scary. Tweens often want to watch horror movies but, in general, they are not old enough for true horror movies. Here then are the seven movies I am comfortable recommending for your tweens.
- Creature From the Black Lagoon (1954) ~ Scientists discover a weird creature with gills in the Amazon River. A tense and slightly scary movie.
- The Watcher in the Woods (1980) ~ A teenager visiting a house in the country tries to determine what happened to a girl who had lived there thirty years earlier.
- The Private Eyes (1981) ~ A spooky old house and a funny pair solve a murder.
- The Gremlins Special Edition ( 1984) ~ Some people do find those cute little Gremlins nasty! This movie is filled with mischief, mayhem and murder.
- The Monster Squad (1987) ~ A fun movie with classic monsters and children who try to defeat them.
- The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993) ~ Older kids love these kind of offbeat movies. This one is part musical, fantasy, horror and comedy!
- Coraline (2009) ~ Coraline is not a family film and features a very frightening mother who “turns into a seething, possessive monster who steals children’s souls by replacing their eyes with buttons.”
Not Too Scary Movies For Tweens or Pre-Teens on Halloween