For the curious, here are a few biographical facts about the movie critic Roger Ebert:
- Roger Joseph Ebert was born in June 18, 1942, in Urbana, Illinois.
- Ebert began his career as a reporter and was given the film critic job for the Sun-Times rather unexpectedly.
- He won a Pulitzer Prize for his movie reviews in 1975.
- He appeared on the television show Siskel and Ebert and then Ebert and Roeper at the Movies for a total of 37 years.
- He suffered surgical complications related to thyroid cancer in 2006 and was not able to speak after that year.
- Shortly before his death, he was the Managing Editor of and a reviewer for Ebert Presents At The Movies.
- His reviews continued to appear in newspapers around the world.
- Ebert wrote a total of 17 books.
- He has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame and is the only film critic that has one.
- Robert Ebert's website, rogerebert.com, receives a staggering 110 million visits a year.
Stay tuned for more about Roger Ebert.
at the movies!
Order your copy of Awake in the Dark: The Best of Roger Ebert from Amazon.